Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

" Rock Of Ages "/ DEF LEPPARD :D!!!!!!!


Rock Of Ages...the musical!

Ali and I were stoked to take in the opening night performance of Rock of Ages the musical, premiering at The Centre in Vancouver for Performing Arts. The show is currently running May 8 through 13th, and there are still tickets available! I’ll be honest, we’ve seen our fair share of musical theatre over the years and this is the first stage production that I whole-heartedly recommend people see in a long time. I really didn’t know what to expect going into the show as I had heard very little, with most of my knowledge stemming from the upcoming movie adaptation starring Russell Brand. Needless to say, I was effing stoked by all the amazing 80s and 90s rock music that made up the performance’s soundtrack.
I happened to bump into a coworker at the show who grew up listening to this genre of music and was so unbelievably excited to see the show with her sister that her energy instantly rubbed off on me. I went in with an open mindset, and a few memories of the songs she listed off that I figured I would enjoy myself. The show’s premise is relatively simple, and follows the template of most of today’s musicals. A young girl, Sherrie, played brilliantly by Shannon Mullen, moves to Los Angeles in hopes of making her dreams of becoming a star come true. He parents don’t approve, and as expected Sherrie has to fend for herself in this big, new, Rock n’ Roll-infused city. She finds herself in a local bar on The Sunset Strip, and meets a lowly worker, Drew, played incredibly by Dominique Scott, who is also trying to achieve his dreams of becoming a legendary rock star. That’s the basic premise and setting for the majority of the musical. Granted, the set is EPIC and provides the perfect backdrop, including a live rock band on stage for the entire show!
There were a lot of unique characters peppered throughout the story, which account for the majority of the standout performances. I have to take my hat of to the aforementioned leads, as they truly carried the storyline and did a fantastic job! The show itself was narrated in part by Lonny, played by Justin Colombo, another worker at the bar. This character was quintessential to the storyline and Colombo’s comedic timing was SPOT ON to keep the audience engaged and make light of the fact that we were all attending a musical about Rock n’ Roll. The writers also deserve to be recognized via the standing ovation that was given to the ensemble cast tonight.

Read more at: http://www.homorazzi.com/article/rock-of-ages-the-musical-vancouver-review-the-centre-cast-songs-tickets/#ixzz1xQ3P7lgC

* taken from  http://www.homorazzi.com/

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar